Hi! I’m Becky Bishop, the Healthy Food Fashionista. Thanks for visiting my website. Here’s a little bit about me and why I know that healthy food fits every lifestyle.
Who I Am:
- I’m the creator of the Healthy Food Fashionista empire. Ok, empire might be a bit of an exaggeration. Right now it’s a nutrition education website and business that developed out of my experience over the last five years as the orchestrator of our family’s nutritional 180 degree turn around. I’m sure it will be an empire soon. To make a long story short, we ate bad things. We were “carbortarians”. Lots of fast food and highly processed refined grains and refined sugar boxed food–the Standard American Diet, or SAD for short. Bad things were happening. We had a minor health crisis on our hands as we discovered our twins were suffering from numerous medical challenges ranging from sensory processing disorders (including auditory and visual processing difficulties) to anxiety, extreme digestive discomfort, acid reflux, stomach aches, and frequent infections. We changed they way we ate and things got better…a lot better. We’ve seen sensory processing disorders nearly disappear, infections and illness became the exception rather than the rule, and those pesky acid reflux and digestive difficulties vanished. I began sleeping soundly for the first time in my life and I dropped 20 pounds without ever officially “dieting”. That’s why you’ll hear me say (a lot), “Makeover your kitchen, transform your life.”
- I’m a certified L.E.A.N. (Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitude, Nutrition) Coach. The L.E.A.N. certification is offered exclusively by Dr. William Sears, M.D., the renowned pediatrician and nutrition expert. I teach the L.E.A.N. Start and L.E.A.N Essentials programs and in February I’ll be certified to teach the L.E.A.N. Expectations program to expectant moms. Can’t wait for that!
- I teach nutrition education classes to people of all ages from preschool children to adults. Last year I had the pleasure of being the nutrition educator for a Head Start preschool. I’ve taught classes to elementary kids (and received the highest compliment from my daughter who was in one of my classes–”Whew, you didn’t embarass me at all!”), and I teach various classes to groups, large and small. I also offer personal coaching. In early 2011, I’ll be launching an 8 week course called, you guessed it, “Makeover Your Kitchen, Transform Your Life”. To learn more about my programs and service visit the “Made to Order” page.
- I’m a media sensation. Ok, again, I may be exaggerating a bit. But, I had a taste of stardom this year when I was asked to prepare a healthy breakfast recipe on the live, local CBS morning show, Great Day St. Louis. I’ve also enjoyed being a frequent guest on the Conscious Manifesting radio show with my friend Kim Schneider, the Manifestation Maven. It’s true that a taste of honey is worse than none at all because I can’t wait to do more! Don’t worry, I’ll keep you posted on my media whereabouts.
- I’m the author of a series of soon to be released e-books and e-cookbooks. I’ll let you know when they are available as I’m sure you will want to buy them, right?
- I’m also a recovering lawyer. After 16 years of practicing law, I quit in March 2010 to be the Healthy Food Fashionista full time. Well, almost full time. I spend a lot of time being a wife and mom too!
Now that you know who I am, let me tell you a bit about who I am not:
- I’m not a doctor, nurse or a nutritionist, nor do I play one on TV. So, I’m not here to offer medical advise. If you have a medical condition or question, please see your doctor NOT the Healthy Food Fashionista.
- I don’t blame corporate America for the sorry state of our country’s nutritional habits. In fact, my husband works for one of those companies. We have the gift of free choice and we can decide what we put into our mouths. I also happen to have an economics degree and I get supply and demand. If we demand healthy food with our purchasing power, we will likely get what we want. For those of you baseball and Kevin Costner fans, it’s like the Field of Dreams: If you build it, they will come. Let’s band together and build my healthy food empire!
So there you have it, that’s who I am and who I am not in a nutshell.
Thanks again for visiting my site and PLEASE pass the word on about the Healthy Food Fashionista to your friends and families and even people you don’t like very much. I’m not too picky. We have a healthy food empire to build. So ditch your junk food fashion duds and let’s start building it, one morsel at a time!